About Vaginal Discharge/Itch:
For females aged 16 and over.
Symptoms relating to the genital area such as abnormal discharge and itch are common. A bit of white discharge, especially at the beginning or end of your menstrual cycle, is normal. However, if the discharge is accompanied by itching and has an unusual colour, consistency, or smell, it's not normal and needs treatment. Two common causes of abnormal genital discharge or itch, which are not due to an STI, are vaginal thrush (candidiasis) and bacterial vaginosis:
- Vaginal thrush is a common condition caused by a type of yeast called Candida. This condition can cause inflammation, intense itchiness and a thick, white discharge from the vagina.
- Bacterial vaginosis is an infection in a woman's vagina caused by an overgrowth of bacteria. In some cases, there are no symptoms. In other cases, there may be abnormal vaginal discharge, itching or odour.
How we can help:
We can offer testing and treatment for vaginal thrush or bacterial vaginosis
Treatments offered (picture) include:
- Metronidazole 400 mg tab (metrogyl)
- Clotrimazole 2% Vaginal creams (3 applicators)
- Clotrimazole 1% cream 20g